"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Sunday, August 17, 2014

FNSI: Sail Away!

On Friday night, I made sailboats.  I’m working on a rather unusual wall hanging that I was commissioned to make, and I’m having a of of fun with it. 

I don’t love making HST’s, but I do love the little pile of shavings after they’ve been squared up.

They are now part of a larger piece, but I’m not ready to share yet.

Last week I also finished two more doll quilts and 4 more mug rugs.  I’ve stopped making any more for now, to get some ‘real’ projects done.

On Saturday, we were invited to a family BBQ, but I still wanted to spend some time on the water before we went.  We live very close to the Potomac River, so we managed to get two hours of paddle time and still get to the BBQ in plenty of time.

IMG_3270

 

 

 

 

 

I like to paddle near the shore and look for things to photograph.  Pretty flowers, and lacy leaves.

IMG_3280

The trees have to hang on mightily to keep standing upright.

IMG_3287

 

 

 

 

 

I’ve never noticed this tiny little inlet before, with a small ‘waterfall’.

IMG_3289

IMG_3290

More pretty flowers on another bank.

IMG_3293

 

 

 

 

 

And the light was right for some pretty reflections.

IMG_3300

The bridge in for forefront is an old aqueduct from the heyday of the C&O Canal.  In the distance is a modern highway bridge.

IMG_3312

As we were getting ready to get off the river, we happened upon this heron.  We were able to get very close to him, and he posed for a long time.  I’m not sure what he is, but perhaps a juvenile Night Heron?  If anyone knows, please feel to educate me.

IMG_3330

And now another weekend is coming to a close.  I have a couple of projects prepped for hand work this week, and big plans for even more new projects!!  Will we ever run out of ideas or fabric??

~ ~  Sunny ~ ~

IMG_3245

20 comments:

  1. Hi Sunny lots of lovely sewing there,well done and boy love your pics,my favourite is the lacy leave,hope you have a lovely day my friend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your finished project and as always your photo's are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing what you do with the sailboats. Very pretty doll quilts! You certainly paddled down a beautiful section of the river. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little boat blocks.
    Lots of lovely work on many projects for you.
    Looks like some lovely time on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely mug rugs and the sail boats look great, will look forward to the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a big fan of sailboat blocks. I used to make them for little boy baby quilts that my quilt guild did as a charity project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photo's. I love your sailboat blocks. Sunny, my email is not working at the 'new' house and I've not been able to get back with you on the camera. I have so much going on right now, I'm not going to be able to even think about a camera right now. I do hope to get a nice set up one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wee sailboats are beautiful, Sunny.

    I loved seeing the pictures you took on the water. It looked like a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute are those wee sail boats...
    You did manage lots of sewing Sunny.
    Thanks for the lovely paddle down the river , love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think my favorite photo was the last one--the one of your 'babies'!!!
    love nature and taking photos--
    though I have not done hardly any photos for over a week now--
    need to get back in the 'saddle'!!!
    have a great week--
    hugs, di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those photos. I'm a pushover for tree roots...my favorite photo subject!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute little sailboats and lots of other great sewing going on . Love seeing your photos on the River , always a treat .

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a serene place to paddle out to! Thanks for sharing all the pictures. Nature is quite stunning and very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  16. cute little sailboats... and I always love your river pictures...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the sailing boats, can't wait to see them finished. Thanks for the piccies. Love the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the sailing boats, can't wait to see them finished. Thanks for the piccies. Love the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sailboats, now that's something I've not done yet. I love the little mug rug with the heart. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your bridge photos are beautiful! I have no idea what kind of bird that is but the most similar one in my bird book was a tri colored heron.

    I like those sailboats!

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.