"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Finishes and a Trip to Tangier Island

I ran out of steam for light blue scraps for RSC this past week, so I pulled out a light blue quilt and got it quilted.  I AM going to get proficient at quilting, and it’s going to take a LOT of practice.

IMG_4016

 I did some ruler work, some stippling, and some free motion feathers. 

Another quilt I found that was already basted was this applique quilt.  I bought the fabric several years ago and did the pre-class homework for a Pat Sloan class, and then the class was canceled.  I eventually put the top together and now it’s a finish!

I have 3 more quilts that are basted, and I’ll start working on them this week.  Deciding how to quilt them is the hardest part.  The largest one is for my Guild UFO challenge, so I really have to get it done soon.  And then I can start basting the others.  I haven’t actually quilted much in the last couple of years.

IMG_3443

IMG_3493

That’s it for quilty stuff.  The remainder of this post is about our step back in time as we adventured to Tangier Island, a small island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay.  It is only accessible by boat or by small plane, and has a population of around 500.  There is only one school, which serves K-12.

IMG_3501

Methods of transportation include golf carts, bicycles, and scooters.

IMG_3496IMG_3497large_golfcart

“Tangier Taxi”

There are several restaurants on the island, and lunch at Hilda Crockett’s Chesapeake House was included in our package deal for the day.

When we exited the restaurant, several ‘taxi’s” were lined up to offer tours of the island.  After eating all that food, DH and I chose to walk!  We walked past churches, the school, several little shops, a museum, and the Post Office.

IMG_3492

The mail is brought over on The Mail Boat six days a week, and taken to the Post Office.  There is no residential delivery, so the Post Office is a community gathering place.  The mail boat also serves to deliver other goods.  When we saw it docked in Crisfield, it was loaded with sodas and paper towels!
IMG_3370

The residents of Tangier Island are watermen, depending on crabs and oysters for their livelihoods.  It is not an easy way of life, and the population of the island continues to drop as young people leave the island for other jobs. 

IMG_3447IMG_3454IMG_3507

We were there on the hottest day of the year, so we popped into a couple of the tiny shops to take advantage of their air conditioning.  The ice cream shack was also doing a booming business.   We were only on the island for a couple of hours, but I’d definitely like to go back. 

On the way home, we passed through an incredible thunderstorm, followed by the most amazing sunset.  I have no pictures to share, because we were on a bus, and stopping for sunset pictures was not on the itinerary.

Every day is an adventure……Sunny

IMG_3483IMG_3484

12 comments:

  1. Hello Sunny! I really love your pretty pale blue pinwheel quilt... so pretty. The Pat Sloan quilt is pretty too and you must be pleased to have them both finished! Lovely photographs of your trip... it looks a beautiful place to visit. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your little blue quilt, it's so pretty and your second quilt is lovely too. well done on your finishes.
    thanks for taking us on a tour of Tangier island.
    no chesapeake bay retrievers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pinwheel quilt is adorable! After reading about and seeing pictures of Tangier Island, it sounds like a delightful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your tour. The blue pinwheel quilt is beautiful as is that gorgeous applique quilt x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness... Tangier Island is beautiful. I think I would love to live there!!! (no job, of course...hee hee) Your quilts are pretty and your quilting designs are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blue and white quilt is beautiful. Deciding on quilting is the hardest part for me too.

    It looks like it was a great visit to Tangier Island. Love those bicycles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilting on the wee blue quilt and the great appliqué one..
    Thanks for sharing your trip to Tangier Is...
    Love that flower..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I want to go to Tangier Island with you--
    glad you had fun there--
    I want you to come back to the fingerlakes --there is alot more tours for us to take photos of--and I heard of a nice camera shop in Seneca Falls that I want to go to--
    love your quilts--I am still hand stitching on that big pink and green one--steadily--so one day it will be finished--hopefully!!
    and I did get over to the yarn shop yesterday and learned the best way to attach buttons on baby sweaters--had 4 to do--
    got to take a photo of them and post it!!!
    stormy looking her today--
    smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the new banner flower is so pretty! I love the Pat Sloan quilt. Good job finishing it with out the class. You are doing so good getting all that quilting done. (I want to learn ruler work too)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work on both your quilts! I have to agree that deciding how to quilt them is often the hardest part for me, too.
    This looks like a fascinating destination to visit. Love seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your Pat Sloan quilt very much. Too bad the class was cancelled. I have never had the opportunity to take a class with her but I know she is well liked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your quilts - especially the Pat Sloan one! That island looks like a real treat, I'll have to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.