"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Monday, May 2, 2016

Fun with Flossie!

While I was cleaning and organizing about a month ago, I found a book that I had forgotten I bought.  I bet no one else has ever done that, right?  So I've been acquiring some fabric, a little here and a little there.


This is going to be a challenge for me, as there are no patterns for the 121 blocks.  A few are simple, and I can measure and cut with no problem.  I think many of them will be paper pieced.  To make it a little more challenging, I decided to dust off my Featherweight machine for the piecing.  I've had it for about five years and I've never used it.  I've named her Flossie, and I'm sure we're going to become very good friends.  My research tells me she's from 1935.



I finished a very simple block this afternoon, and am almost finished with the second.  To do that, I needed to thread it, and adjust the tension.  I'm used to automatic thread cutting, needle down, and automatic presser foot up and down.  I think I'll catch on to this pretty quickly though.

Late last night, I put the final stitches in my first May finish.  These aren't my usual colors, but I really love this!  The baskets are scrappy log cabins, from a fat quarter bundle I've had for years.  I just had to add the background and borders.  It measures about 35" square and will soon be hanging on a wall.

Now, back to stitching.....Sunny




23 comments:

  1. I purchased that particular book but did not make any of the blocks. Good idea to use your Featherweight sewing the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sunny,yep I have had that happen to,lol,I love glossies and your block is beautiful,well done my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to find a book that`s been hidden away. Love your log cabin basket quilt. :) Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I am glad Amazon keeps track of our orders. I have almost reordered a couple of books because I forgot I had them! You will have fun sewing on Flossie. Love, love, love your basket quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy making your blocks from the lost book on Flossie....
    Nice finish there too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glossies will do just fine with your next project... Enjoy stitching

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely finish! Those baskets are very sweet.
    Enjoy your new machine and your new project

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your baskets quilt Sunny and good luck with your new challenge.... I shall look forward to seeing your blocks! Have a lovely week! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunny! That is one beautiful block; I love those baskets. And you have an old featherweight... lucky you!!! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your "Flossie" is a beauty! I used to keep my featherweight set up for 'upstairs sewing'! I've since traded it for a Kitchenaide! I just love your basket quilt. How cute, made from log cabin blocks. Mare the handles appliquéd? Good luck working from your forgotten book! I'll bet you can figure out lots of those patterns. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those blocks should be fun on that little machine. Have fun playing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that sewing machine and would love to have one--so as you are busin long on it think of me!! Have fun with the new project--I did write out and add up my ufo's last week and you would think that I wouldn't have that many--at least I did not think I had many--so was very surprised at the number!!!
    love and laughter, di

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I would love one of those machines..... They are beautiful.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now THAT certainly will be a challenge, my friend! Your machine will be a fab companion while you achieve your blocks

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute is Flossie!! And fancy finding a forgotten book.... hmmm... I think that sounds rather familiar, lol! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your log cabin baskets, good luck with the featherweight and blocks in the lost book. !!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sad to admit - yes I have found books that I forgot about. Even worse, I have found patterns I don't even recognise! Oh, dear.
    I hope you enjoy playing with your wonderful machine.
    That's a lovely finish on your basket quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like you will have a lot of fun working on those blocks. I love that you are using your featherweight. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. cant wait to see Flossie and your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are probably lots of books in my bookcase that haven't been open for a while! I have an old singer machine but wouldn't know how to create anything as lovely as your block! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Visiting from FNWF - I think Flossie is just a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love finding books I've forgotten about. It's like I'm buying it again. So do you hang all your wall-hanging size quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh hon Flossie is a beauty!!!! I have that book, too - do you have David McCallum's book too? I'm finding that invaluable. Your little baskets are too darling for words.

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.