"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Monday, January 9, 2017

Four Days!

Yes, that's right, it took me FOUR days to make the border on this quilt.  I just have to add one plain outer border and it will be a flimsy.  I could have done the outer border before this blog post, but then this blog post would not have happened, and I'm trying to be better about blogging this year.  When I fell in love with this quilt, I only noticed the reindeer names and the overall look, not the tiny little applique leaves and the border.  I'm now quite well versed in the use of a Tri Recs tool.

My first finish(es) for the year are place mats.  I managed seven before I ran out of batting scraps of the appropriate size.  And six of them were orphan blocks that I adopted.


I spent FNWF making some purple hexies.  These will become a doll quilt, and my first project for RSC17.   If you like using scraps, and you haven't played along with Rainbow Scrap Challenge before, hop on over to Angela's blog to check it out.  She announces a new color each month, and we make whatever we want with that color scraps for the month.  She puts up a linky each Saturday, so you can find tons of inspiration!


I've decided on my Word for 2017:  Caring.  With all the bad things happening in the world, we all need to be more caring of our fellow humans.  I think the quilting community is very caring - THere are call for quilts or quilt blocks when there are fires, hurricanes, and earthquakes.  We can show caring on a global level or in our own neighborhood or town.  Sometimes it only takes a minute to let someone know you care.  

Show someone you care today......Sunny

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all
of which have the potential to turn a life around.” 
― Leo Buscaglia

24 comments:

  1. Good morning Sunny,wow that quilt is amazing and boy what patience you had to do that amazing border,love your place mats such a great idea.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that how it goes, you see what you like about the quilt, but not the little details - which is also what makes a quilt so special. It is a cute quilt and totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those purple hexies--I am still thinking on what I want to do for my color project this year--will have it figured out by this next Saturday--hopefullly!!!
    love the little mats and that quilt with the reindeer names is amazing--I know I would of chickened out with that border and done something simpler--I am lazy!!!!!!!
    Enjoy the moments-di

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure like your reindeer name quilt! That border looks like a challenge, but you did a great job. Very pretty purple hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - you have been challenged. Lovely hexies and placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do love your reindeer quilt. And that Leo quote....thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reindeer quilt is pretty special - quite unlike any I've seen before! Top marks for persistence and getting there in the end! (Well nearly, sounds like you haven't got much left to do!) More lovely placemats, I"m sure these are being well received :-) I'm hoping ot do the RSC this year, want a simple block to do and haven't quite decided which one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why you fell in love with the quilt Sunny.... it is fabulous! You have made a great start to 2017 too and I love your chosen word for the year.... I think we definitely need more caring in the World right now! Hugs Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunny, your reindeer name quilt is gorgeous!! I can imagine the leaves and border were very time consuming! I made placemats out of a thriftrd shower curtain yesterday. I felt so accomplished! Lol are you on Instagram?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can imagine that border took ages - but it is so effective and worth every minute!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Four days, but it is really lovely. That is a great quilt.

    I LOVE those hexie flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work on the quilt Sunny... now get that final border on!
    Caring is a good word - you're right, so much unhappy, unfortunate, awful stuff going on in the world, but still plenty of good things too, & we all can contribute to those good things.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make such lovely things......... Thank you for your encouragement.........

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many pretty projects--I do love that reindeer quilt so much!! Happy 2017 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm how did I miss your post Sunny! Boy that border on the Christmas quilt sure looks challenging. Nice finish.
    Good use of orphan blocks for placemats and lovely purple hexies.
    Caring is a good word for this year ...there is definitely lots of caring we can do ....

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your reindeer quilt! That is wonderful and worth all the time and effort you have put into it.
    Great work on the place mats, too as well as the hexies.
    I think caring is a very appropriate sentiment at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving your reindeer quilt but not so much that little outer border!lol
    Four hours work is dedication..
    Very pretty placemats too.
    Can't have too much caring in the world, a very good goal to share it around.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, that is awesome!!! It was worth the time :) Love your placemats too xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That certainly was a lot of work but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The border is beautiful.......so worth the effort.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE that quilt - that would have taken me much longer than 4 days though, wowzers!!! I really like the idea of using orphan blocks for placemats, great way to use batting scraps too, they're lovely. Pretty little hexies!

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.