"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Another busy month

Another busy month is flying by.  I guess that's a sign of getting older?

We started the month with a quick trip to Animal Adventure Park in Harpursville, NY to visit April the giraffe, of internet fame.  I would hate to admit how many hours I spent watching and waiting for her calf to be born. It was a long day trip, but well worth it for me.

April and Tajiri

April

Tajiri (Taj)

Oliver
After leaving the giraffes, we stopped at a nearby park for some wildflower pictures.
Ragged Robiin

???

Swallowtail
Excitement the following week was taking my HQ Sweet 16 in for servicing.  It was cleaned, oiled, and a few minor adjustments made, and it quilts like a dream now.

The following week found us taking a spur-of-the-moment trip to the Finger Lakes for a few days.  We weren't planning to go up this year, but it's not a long drive, and we just love it up there.  We photographed many wildflowers and waterfalls.  I know, you're shocked.  A few of these pictures are just for Di. who used to live up there.

For Di!

Butter and Eggs

She Qua Ga Falls

Eagle Cliff Falls

Eagle Cliff Falls

Deckertown Falls

Bucktail Falls

a very toxic Nightshade

Awesome sandwiches, on the BEST bread.

For Anthea!

Ludlowville Falls

Filmore Glen State Park

Filmore Glen State Park


Taughannock Falls

Because we were farther north than our usual range, I found a lot of wildflowers that I hadn't seen before.  And despite poring over field guides for hours, many of them are still unidentified.  I'll try to update my flower page soon.  Some of the waterfalls require a short hike, but many of them can be seen from the road.  We've visited some of these before, but added a few new ones to our list this year.

Is anyone still with me?  I have actually found time to sew between our adventures.  I'm putting the finishing touches on 13 place mats that were made with gifted batting scraps, and  some gifted fabrics.  I'll show them next time.  I've just decided that I will quilt them in the pattern that I hope to use on my next quilt, for practice.  I have some gorgeous quilts that need to be quilted, and I have to stop letting them intimidate me.  Wish me luck!

I also finished a Yellow project for RSC!  This is a small quilt for a children's hospital .



A friend taught me how to miter borders this week, so I'm making progress on my little Baltimore Album quilt.  Miters are much easier than I had thought!  

I hear the dryer buzzing, so must go take care of the laundry.  Thanks for visiting!

It costs nothing to be Kind!       Sunny



20 comments:

  1. I too wouldn't dare say how many hours I stared at my screen waiting for April to give birth. I wanted to name him Toad (Totally Overdue Awesome Dude) but Tajiri is awesome too. Lovely pictures. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like you have had a busy and enjoyable month. How cool to see the giraffe baby :-) Lovely to see all your sightseeing photos, and the quilt is a perfect scrappy yellow baby hospital gift. (if that all makes sense!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sunny love those giraffe's the baby is so cute,love all your pics and lovely yellow quilt finish,well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all these photos--I wished I could of been up there with you again--I loved the day we took that trip up north that time--thanks for showing me all the photos--
    I will be on a photo mission tonight between 9-10 pm--there is a nice "Queen of the night" ready to bloom tonight--so plan to go out and photograph it--it is down low and there is other lighting there in the parking lot--sooo--hopefully it will turn out ok--we will see!!!
    enjoy the moments, di

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely nature shots. That blue flower looks like what, up here, is called a Blue Flag. It is a wild iris, but it's difficult to tell from the picture which one. Practicing on placemats is the perfect solution for mastering a motif for your quilt! Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I recall that I spent some time watching April also! Beautiful photography - thanks for taking us along. Looking forward to seeing your placemats. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom ALWAYS talked about the Finger Lakes and how beautiful they were. I must get up there for some pottin' around SOON (before I get too old to pott! HA). Is that She Qua Ga where Last of the Mohicans was filmed? I LOVE that movie and the segment with the falls was beautiful. Looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous baby! Loved all your nature shots Sunny, the waterfalls looked amazing as did all those pretty blooms xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your waterfall photos. Oh so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many beautiful Pictures! The waterfalls are amazing and the wildflowers are wonderful to see as well. Great idea to use the placemats to practice your quilting designs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so exciting that you met the new baby giraffe!! Great pic's. I miss seeing waterfalls. I used to regularly drive by several while I was out working when we lived in western NC. I need to take a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved going on holidays with you to see April and her calf Taj.
    Also sew many beautiful photos of flowers and falls on your second trip.
    Sweet little quilt and I look forward to seeing your quilted finishes..
    How did you do your binds before you learnt to mitre them ??

    ReplyDelete
  13. awwww how cute is little Taj?! So you actually say her being born? Love your little quilt.. love the soft colors.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the waterfall shots. I like waterfalls almost as much as I like fabric scraps!! Speaking of which, your little YELLOW quilt turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ha ha, me too, I was checking again & again to see if the giraffe had been born... then missed the actual moment, bah!
    Great pics as always Sunny, & thank you for the hibiscus, they're very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your crochet project...what a pretty colour and pattern. I too watched the April live cam and couldn't believe the drop! I am still following the eagles of Dale Hollow and most of those folks were also watching April. Imagine seeing her in person! Lovely little quilt too. Happy stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think a trip to see the giraffes was well worth it - and yes I followed too, waiting for the arrival. Don't they look gorgeous!
    How lovely to make a tri to the Finger Lakes. I love that area.
    Great to see some stitching happening with that sweet little quilt. And i am pleased your machine is running well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. so many gorgeous photos.........thanks for sharing......

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never got into the internet hype on that one, lol - too busy watching the deer, I guess. Lovely pics, Sunny, what a gorgeous area! Love the butter and eggs flowers, quite the appropriate name. Sweet little quilt - glad your machine is humming along!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the little yellow quilt - it's just too cute. Love the giraffes too. My mother in law was crazy over giraffes, and there is nothing like seeing one up close and in person. They are remarkable.

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.