"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

OPAM and quilting progress

The Quilting Blitz continues, so I have some pretties to share!  Last week I shared my blue doll quilt, blue baby quilt, and charity child's quilt.  Another child's quilt was finished but apparently I didn't take a photo before I shipped it off.  I then had to take a break to make my monthly Prairie Women's project.  It was a smallish  table runner, but it took longer than I anticipated.  But then doesn't everything?  This is the fourth project I've made with this fabric, so the back is pieced, using up most of the remaining pieces.


I don't think I ever showed the third project from this fabric, so here it is!  What a fun one to work on.  Lots of little yo yos and triangles, and I just love it!  I'm way ahead of schedule on finishing this one, so don't tell anyone you saw it here!  LOL!

Next up was this little sampler quilt, from Quilts from El's kitchen.  Back in the spring of 2013, Eleanor Burns' sister, Pat Knoechel visited our guild.  This book was new then, and I think almost everyone in attendance purchased a copy.  And I have yet to see a finished quilt from it!  I purchased the fabric shortly after the book, and finally got started in March of this year at retreat.  I had fallen out of love with the fabric by then,  but once it was finished and quilted, I loved it again!

This next one has been waiting to be quilted for several months.  I couldn't decide what I wanted to do, but decided it was time to just do it!   I began by quilting a little swirl in each of the hexies.  Then I did some loop de loops in the background..  When I was all finished, I knew the swirls in the hexies were a huge mistake.  I spent most of Sunday ripping out quilting.  Not my favorite thing to do.  But I like it so much better now!  This was designed as a table cloth, without any batting in it.  I wanted to make it a wall hanging, but didn't know quite how to hang it.  I was advised to put a tab on the back of each scallop, then thread a hula hoop through the tabs to keep its shape,  I'll be going hula hoop shopping soon!  


I also whipped this little wall hanging out right before the 4th of July.  The sample I saw in the store featured the tiniest little buttons, but I used some beads that I already had rather than ordering the buttons.


So, I started with a pile of 10 projects to be quilted.  Six are finished, one is under the needle now, I'm waiting for special thread for another, so I'm very happy with my progress.  And then there are only about 102 other projects waiting to be made!  No time be get bored.

I'll close with a few nature pictures.  Check out my Wildflower page if you're interested in seeing more.  I'm not completely up to date, but I have been adding to it.









Keep on stitching..... Sunny


23 comments:

  1. So you really have been very busy--love all those projects--and I must of missed the last Eleanor Burns pattern--that is a nice one--I have all her rulers and a couple patterns that have very small templates to them to sew up some day!!!! Love all the mini's--mini's are always fun to make--and I guess that white background one must be large if you are going shopping for a hula hoop!!!!
    and you forgot to tell us who the quilt inspector is??? cute photo--
    and I love the nature ones, of course--but my favorite one it the butterfly flying--that is a different look and one hard to take==great job!!!
    on to the next adventure--
    enjoy the moments, di

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have been busy!!! I can't decide which quit I like best but I love that flower with the red center and the butterfly with the blue wings with orange spots. Hope you don't have anymore ripping out stitches in the near future - NOT fun! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. How good you've been with all these lovely projects being finished! Your nature photos are beautiful...we have black eyed Susan's here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...you are really making headway on those projects. I love that Eleanor Burns one as well as those little yo yos. That is a great idea for hanging a circular quilt.

    Your nature photos are always so glorious. Those butterfly shots are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm drooling all OVER your pics - that table runner - that quilt - that tablecloth!!!! So many beautiful things, hon! And I love your wildlife pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right! Everything takes longer than you expect - although this runner was worth it. I love the yo-yo quilt, it's really cute. I've seen Pat speak a few times, she's a kick in the pants! So fun and likable. And you are right, things go flying out the door that she is selling. I really like the basket in the center of the quilt. So nice and neat with all those triangles. Too funny you fell out of love and back into it with the fabric. Life is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sunny wow your work is amazing,i love them all,you sure have been busy my friend.
    Love the butterfly,i should get my iternary soon for the trip ,then i will email you the destinations and what days we are where,i am starting to get excited,hope you have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been very busy!! Congrats. I love the butterflies. Sorry you had to unquilt. I have done it a couple times and I think it keeps me from starting. I have so many finished tops calling my name. Your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of beautiful Quilty loveliness in your post
    Love the table runner an dyiir mini. Well done finishing your sampler so glad you have renewed your love for it.
    Pretty butterflies and flowers..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sunny you've finished sew many beautiful projects. Love ❤️ your table runner....
    Gorgeous pics of flowers and butterflies 🦋

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many beautiful things Sunny! I just love the little yo yo quilt and the blue table runner. Your little fingers have been very busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post full of beautiful quilts and butterflies! love your mini quilts...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've been so productive lately, wow, such pretty projects!! I laughed at the first pic of your walk, looks like a gnome dropped his hat....

    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the variety of your projects and they are all so lovely. I am interested to know more about your Prairie Women's project. It sounds so interesting. Just the name reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful work.. love the butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of beautiful things being made at your place, the butterfly picyures are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How did I miss this post. Great to see all those finishes. You are on a roll. Like the idea of using a hula hoop to hold the round one!
    And the countryside around you is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, blow me away with all these great finishes Sunny! You're smashing them out.
    I do love the table runner at the top of the post - the blocks are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow so many beautiful projects, love your mini quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Sunny! You really have been busy. Great job. Love the nature photos too especially the butterfly ones! They are hard to capture so beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything looks wonderful, but I especially love the little yo-yo quilt. Love seeing the butterflies and flowers too...I miss mine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sunny, I didn't realize my comments did not show up in your email box. This is a test comment to see if it does now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Test #2. Did this comment make it to your email ?

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.