"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Counting my Blessings

I hate November.  I was trying to think of a clever title to convey that, when I thought of the poor people in Buffalo, NY and the surrounding areas.  It is cold and dreary and bleak here, but I am not buried under five or more feet of snow.

Our leaves, which were so pretty and colorful a week ago, have suffered from the first hard frost, and are now brown and dried up.  This is now just a memory.

IMG_3495

But I would rather look at dry brown leaves than several feet of this.

buff9

We have had several days of very cold temperatures, but we are warm and cozy in our house.  I just saw a news story that in some areas of New York state, they are running out of food and fuel because of all the snow.

I have my sewing machine and many crafts to work on.  I am not out shoveling all that snow! 

IMG_3533

 

 

 

 

 

 

The tiny little Scrap Star quilt is quilted!  And I actually used my Sweet 16 for the quilting.  I WILL master that thing while I’m not working.  We’re going to have another session today, in fact.

IMG_3528

The sun refuses to cooperate, so you’re not seeing these trees in their best light.  The cardinals and one border are actually red.  This quilt will rely heavily on quilting to bring it to life.  I don’t have a clue how I’ll quilt it, so any suggestions are welcome.  I started this at a previous retreat, and finished most of it at the  recent retreat.  I’m always surprised at the finished size of my quilts.  I think this is intended as a wall hanging, but I don’t know many people with a blank wall this big!  I need to learn to read the sizes and try to visualize them before I get started. 

IMG_3529

Shhh…  this is secret sewing for Christmas.  I’ve been doing a lot of hand applique, and the end is in sight.  I like it so much I don’t really want to part with it, but it is intended as a special Christmas gift.

IMG_3531

I also started a new cross stitch pattern that has been in my basket for a couple of years. 

IMG_3530

And just yesterday I started a new stitchery project.  I went to our guild’s Hands On sewing day, and took my new light pad to try out.  The light pad is awesome, and I’m already in love with this little stitchery.

So, I have plenty of hand work to keep me busy on these cold not-yet-winter nights.  And I have a stack of flimsies just waiting to be quilted.  And I have enough fabric and patterns to keep me busy for several years.  And I have my new friends from Hands On.  And I have my many blog friends.  And…And….And….

Many blessings, indeed.      Sunny

GetAttachment[1]

19 comments:

  1. You will be busy Sunny. Hope you get through the cold spell ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO snow here--yet it seems so 'funny' to think of soooo much less than 2 1/2 hours from here!!
    I too have been busy working on this and then that project--isn't it a 'blessing' to have lots of things to work on????
    hugs, di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love November! I'm a summer girl through and through, but those first few fires and the promise of the holidays make up for the weather. Now January-March I could live without!!!

    What is the name of the cardinal and trees pattern? I think I want to make it! If you google Becky of my fabric obsession you can see a tree quilt she used a Longarm to quilt swirls kind of like wind. I think that would look amazing in the cream areas! I am so happy to hear you are using your machine!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Sunny beautiful work as usual to keep you out of mischief.Yes i would hate to have snow that bad,yes i would prefer to live where you are Sunny,stay safe my friend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely projects and sounds like the perfect weather to be indoors working on your favourite projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay cosy there with all your beautiful projects... hard to imagine folks being covered in snow when we are so hot here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you do have many blessing. The red binding on the first quilt really brings it to life. And your quilting looks great. Don't you just love quilting? I'm considering a Sweet Sixteen - so maybe I should come visit and give it a try! But not when it's cold. No, I'm a California girl and need the sunshine. I really love the tree and birds quilt. I guess that is another one for my list. I love the bare branches and the pop of bird (red) color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stars look great and I love the trees with the cardinals. The colors must make it very dramatic looking. Stay warm and have fun stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that Star quilt! The tree quilt is going to be fabulous - I can't wait to see how you decide to quilt it. That sneak peek of that stitchers has piqued my interest. And what is a light pad?

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your star quilt and glad you are not buried under snow. better to be buried under fabric, right????
    you will surely be a busy gal. Can't wait to see the results. as for quilting ideas how about swirls to look like wind blowing through the trees?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I hate November too - but it does have my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving. Favorite because NO GIFTS. A chance to get together with loved ones and not feel pressured, lol!

    I love your star quilt but the trees with the cardinal is my fave - so outstanding!!! Not a clue on the quilting, I usually don't know until I've started and have to rip something out.

    Being thankful with you, dear Sunny...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh boy you do have a lot to keep you busy ..
    Your little star quilt is lovely. Sorry not good at quilting sew can't give you any help.
    Yes heard the the news how bad the snow is in NY. even some Aussie girls were trapped in a bus for hours but we're recused..

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are all very blessed with our blog friends. Autumn has been very late here in France and so we are only just enjoying the colour, but it wont last long. We do get snow but fortunately most of the time it is only a dusting and soon disappears. Enjoy your weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your projects are lovely especially your star quilt. I'm glad you haven't been hit with all that snow - we've been seeing a lot of it in the news here! Hard to believe when it's so hot here! Take care and enjoy your quilting xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, there is definitely a lot to be thankful for.
    No snow for one!
    Lovely work on the star quilt. It looks great.
    And the trees top is stunning.
    Good luck with all the stitching you have planned.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree we do have lots to be thankful for.
    Love the trees.
    the star quilt is gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sunny I just love those trees! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  18. The colour of those leaves is wonderful.I'm glad you are keeping snug and warm. Sarah X

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.