"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Sunday, January 14, 2018

RSC18 and More ice!

I think I may have overextended myself again this year with all the projects I signed up for!  But they're fun, and I'll do my best to keep up.

First up, and easiest is my weekly block for RSC18, where we're working with light blue this month.  Pop on over to see what everyone else is up to this year.  There is a link-up post every Saturday, and anyone can join in at any time!  I'm combining this with another project doing one block each week, so I'll end up with at least 50 blocks by the end of the year.

I've also decided to make the mystery quilt by Kathleen Tracy.  The first block is an applique flower pot, and is just adorable.  I couldn't pass up this one.

Back in approximately 2010 and 2011, I signed up for BOM's at my local quilt shop.  One used specialty templates that I had no idea how to use, so each month the kit was placed in a box and hidden away.  I don't remember why I didn't do the second one, because it was pretty easy.  Maybe I felt guilty because I hadn't done the other?  I don't know. Anyway, I've decided that I'm going to make both of these quilts this year.  And I officially have the January blocks done for both of them!  I'll wait to share until I have a few more finished.  Now that I've started, I hope to do more than one a month, and have finished tops before the end of the year. 

We got a call today from a friend who had just crossed a nearby creek in which the ice was breaking up and flowing.  She  told us to grab our cameras and get down there, so we did!  It was amazing to see.  Sadly, we just got a News Flash that it's causing flooding, and some people should be prepared to evacuate.  After what we saw today, I'm not surprised.  Ice can be so beautiful but so dangerous.  We talked to several people who live near the creek, and they don't remember seeing anything like this in the last 50 years!

This slab was about " thick!


The water was no longer flowing here, and this it probably near where the flooding is now.
This is the ice jam that is causing the flooding.


All ice in the middle ground
In other news, I've counted my UFO's as of January 1st, and there were 12.  I've started a few new projects since then, and there are 35-40 more projects that I want to make, and have the fabric for.  I think the time has come to stop buying fabric.  I'll let you know how that works out!!  LOL!

Happy Stitching.....Sunny
Some more ice for my friends down under, who are suffering from sweltering heat

22 comments:

  1. Hi Sunny beautiful work my friend love your flower block ,wow so much ice,lovely pics Sunny xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blocks....I shall wait to see how your fabric deprivation goes.....
    Those photos are incredible! It was a stinker here yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow amazing pictures Sunny... some of those ice slabs sure are thick!
    I think it's time for lots of us to stop buying fabric... me alongside you... but we both know that will happen when hell freezes over, ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ice flow is beautiful, but it sounds dangerous too. Great progress so far on using up scraps. Sounds like you have plenty of projects to keep you busy for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ice is incredible! Mother nature sure puts on a good show, even if messes with we puny humans! I hope the flooding isn't too bad. As far as overextending ourselves, quilt goal wise, I think it's okay. Some weekend mornings (my quilty time, as weekdays never seem long enough with working full time) the projects I'm working on are what get me out of bed...well, there's my cat Emma who is always STARVING, but beyond that...some days my warm bed is just so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those photos of the frozen creek are amazing! I'm glad you got a chance to get your fabulous pics. Your applique block is really pretty and it sounds like you are moving along in 2018. I haven't bought fabric in a long time, for real, and I"m itching to go shopping soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your flower block--and your blue block is sweet-I need to make something more in the blue fabrics--love all those ice photos but not that some folks might suffer cause of it--
    as far as not buying fabric this year--good luck with that--it is not working for me!!! though I am doing the K.Tracy one too and had NO civil war prints so had to buy some of those--but now I realize that I color I like the most in those quilts is that pinky one and guess what--none of it came in with what I ordered--so back to shopping, I will have to go!!!!
    enjoy, di

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! You captured some really incredible ice photos!! Hoping you are safe from the flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunny I am so pleased to read you have a pile of UFO's and kits to be made.... Gosh that ice river is amazing.. and scary.... you have really had a big freeze this year...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing pictures of the ice! I hope the flooding is controlled. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is crazy, isn’t it, the way we buy a project then set it aside for no apparent reason. I really need to go on a buying freeze, but just seem incapable. Good luck to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That ice is amazing! I can't remember ever seeing rivers freeze in my area (central nj) either. I think we're on the upside with temps for the season now though! The Kathleen Tracy block is beautiful! I've got about a half dozen "collected" BOM's in my stash...and hope to get to them this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to see you getting your blocks done and good luck getting back to the BOMs.
    That ice looks amazing. I have seen seen that sort of thing but can well imagine the damage it can cause.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice blues block .
    Lovely flower and basket block too.
    Look forward to seeing your progress on the BOMs.
    Always love your great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many quilts to make, so little time! Good luck keeping up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing ice pictures; thanks for sharing. DH and I just ooooh’ed and aaaaah’ed. Your blocks are both cute, but I’m really excited to see you tackle some of those old UFOs. I’m trying to do that this year, too, so we can keep tabs on each other, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Sunny - I love the colours in the projects you are working on! But Oh MY! Those Ice pictures are just stunning! Hard to imagine as we sit here sweltering with the air con on full! Have a great week Sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG the ice....i've never seen anything like that before.....from Friday we have a week forecast with nothing under 41 deg C...will be needing that ice.........

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with chookyblue.. we have a week of 40++. 109 approx.. I need some ice...

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's been flooding here too with all the ice buildup. It's serious stuff!!! Your blue block is pretty, and I love the flower pot! You're right it is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a cute applique block... I should not click that link.. I should not click that link... I would be happy to be in those icy temperatures even though it is quite pleasant here now... :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely stitching! Ice is stunningly beautiful and so deadly.

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.