"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

April OPAM

What a busy month!  It's past my bedtime, but I have to post a few projects for OPAM.

 A couple of years ago, a friend gave me a bag of scraps, and I managed to make 81 nine-patch blocks from them.  I thought that would make a nice size quilt, but I actually ended up with two quilts!  This was the second one that I put together, but it is the only one quilted so far.  It's hard to see the actual nine-patches in this photo!



The color for RSC18 was yellow/gold in April.  After I made my very simple regular blocks, I wanted to make a doll quilt to use up some more scraps.  I've had 4 of these hexies leftover from a quilt several years ago.  It was finally time to put them to use.  I made 5 more, and a doll quilt was born.

I made another version of this quilt last year, and gifted it. Then I decided I liked it so much, I should make another.  It's from Gail Pan's Christmas book.

And shortly after I began stitching this, another Gail Pan pattern was published in the Primitive Quilts magazine.  I was instantly in love with it.

And last but not least, an altered version of a Pam Buda Prairie Women pattern.  We had 8 people in our Prairie Women group, and most of us decided to make this smaller version of the original quilt.  In my sewing room, the sashing was gold, but outside in the daylight this morning, it somehow turned green!

We escaped to the Smoky mountains for a few days, and as usual, were just in awe of the natural beauty.  Here are a few of the highlights.






Okay, off to bed so I can get up early and get back to stitching!                 Sunny


20 comments:

  1. You have been really busy! All of your projects are neat but I love the 9-patches. I may have to try that. Love the pictures in the Smokies. Thanks for sharing. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how much sewing you got done even though you've been out and about visiting beautiful places.thanks for sharing the photos.
    Oh yes the Christmas one is lovely, thanks mawah....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sunny wow love those pics of the bears are they dangerous,think i would be running,but they are so beautiful ,lucky you two spending time in the mountains. Lots of lovely finishes there my friend,well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those 9 patches go together really well. Makes a great design

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness your projects are awesome, love those Gail Pan's! And your pics - please tell me you were not close to that mama bear - yikes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How close were you to those bears??? Amazing!! You have been busy and I just love the little hexie quilt. It's great to hear from you and see what you've been up to these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your nine patches and the embroidery is lovely too. The circles in Prairie Women is wonderful design.

    Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you did get lots of lovely sewing finished.... and fabulous nature pics, the bears are gorgeous...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the apple blossoms in the header and your neat and pretty projects you got done--love those little doll quilts you make--and I love the nature photos--esp that neat bear one--makes you want to reach out and pet him!!! Talk about petting--how are those inside fur balls doing???
    enjoy, di

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Gail’s patterns, lovely stitching. The nine patch looks great as do the others. Wow the bears look so cute must be wonderful to see them in the wild

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely finishes,Sunny. Your quilts have come up so well. And beautiful work on your embroideries. Glad you like our Aussie designer.
    What is the lovely flower in the first of your nature photos?
    And the bears look like they were watching very closely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finishes! Love all of Gail's patterns... so pretty.. oh wow, bears! In real life!! Great photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great tally of finishes Sunny! They are all lovely :-) Amazing what can be made from a 'few scraps'! And I always enjoy seeing your travel/nature photos... wow with the bears!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow , lots of beautiful stitching happened during April ! Love your nature photos too , jealous you found a ladies slipper plant in bloom , they are hard to find here now ,

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always love the pics from your jaunts, Sunny... those bears are majestic!
    Wonderful sewing as always... love the doll quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such pretty little quilts. Love the hexagon doll one. Beautiful photo's of the scenery - I always love seeing them especially water falls.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you post your finishes and the nature photos. It's always such a joy to come see them, and keep up with you. Love the flowers on your header. And those bear pictures are so wonderful! He's so cute climbing the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos of both your quilting and your nature photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I started one of those Prairie Women cross designs a few years ago. Then got side tracked. I don't know if it is a UFO still or if I passed it on. You did well with yours. It is a design I liked and I hope I kept the UFO.

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.