"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Rural Americana

Do you ever start planning your blog post several hours before you intend to write it?  I'm not a writer by any means, but I try to have something interesting to say.  Today, I left the house with plans to go to Gettysburg to Boyds Bear Country and the quilt store. 

Four score and seven years ago...     Most of you have heard of Gettysburg - the battle and the Gettysburg Address.  Our area is steeped in Civil War history.  Today, as I was driving along the battlefield, I pulled off the road to take a few pictures.  It was a dreary cold day, and I was trying to imagine what it would have been like to be in the heat of battle.  The area is now a National Park, dotted with canons, old fences, and monuments.



My real destination was Boyds Bear Country, where I was looking for a particular bear for a bloggy friend.  Sorry bloggy friend, they were sold out, but I found something else kind of cute.  I love visiting all the bears, especially at Christmas time.





The next stop was a new-to-me quilt store.  I've been by many times, but not when they're open.  Today was my lucky day.  It's not a fancy store, but they have tons of fabric,  quilting supplies, threads,   stitchery kits, embroidery floss.......    They specialize in civil war prints.  I bought some fat quarters, and I'd love to go back when I have a specific project in mind.  Very nice store, but I didn't take any pictures.

As I was driving home, I was looking for photo ops, and thought those of you who live near mountains would get a kick out of this.  This is a typical ski slope in this area, and the parking lot was packed!  The snow is manmade.  We've barely had a dusting of snow so far.  Not much of a mountain, as you can see.

Next I drove over a covered bridge. For the first time, I stopped to take a couple of pictures and I had actually stopped earlier to take pictures of another bridge.





I was getting close to home when I saw these in a field.  I had to turn around and go back to get a picture.

There aren't many longhorn cattle around here, so they are picture-worthy in my book!
So now you know what it's like to drive through the area where I live.

Last night, I stayed up all night and well into the morning to make this pillow for FNSI.  I had seen the pattern and sample in a magazine, but last night I couldn't find the pattern anywhere, so I just made what made sense to me.  I think it needs something, but I'm not sure what to add.  I also worked on a mug rug, but had to buy thread to complete the quilting.


I keep nodding off while I'm typing, so I guess it's time to to to bed.

Living Life with an attitude lf gratitudee.....Sunny

9 comments:

  1. Thanx for sharing pix of your trip! Boyd's Bears are so cute~you found a real pretty one there, dressed in pink!
    Your photos brought back memories of last year, when my husband & I drove thru Gettysburg, on our way to tour the Harley Factory @ York, then on to his niece's home in Honesdale,Pa. Then, we went on to New England, where we both have family in Vt, {we grew up around covered bridges like yours!}, and we also made it to Maine that year to visit dear friends we hadn't seen in many years, and also we looked up a step-sister of his, whom he hadn't seen since the 90's!
    I loved seeing all of your pix~especially the snow~living in Fl. for the past 4 years, I miss that!
    I really must find a good quilting/fabric store here, in Fl...That's another thing I miss, being down here!
    Well, I am going to be nodding off as well, very soon, so I guess it's time to shut down the computer for another day...
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sunny I love all of you photos you really get out and about,and the bears are so cute ,but really I would have liked a couple of photos of the quilt store since I don't have eny over here I am deprived of eye candy badly LOL .xoxo theodora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! What a great way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH wow--didn't know you lived soooo close to the Bear shoppe--I will be down to visit this year---guess I will have to stay in your area for a month to see all the places and things you have shown us this year on the blog site--you take great pictures!!! but I don't see a picture of the new fabric!!!!
    love your snowman pillow too==cute!!!
    take care--and hugs, Di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your photos of where you live. It's so gorgeous. It's just as I imagined it would be like. Love the covered bridge and the Bear shop and the longhorn cattle and Gettysburg ... love it all. Your cushion,too, is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing all the pics... I really enjoyed the trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tour of your beautiful countryside Sunny. It's always interestign to see where others live.... especially when it is on the otherside of the world.
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your pictures! Thank you for the tour. I've always been a country girl and love seeing sites like those in your area.

    I love snowmen especially the kind that don't melt. I think your snowman needs a hat that pops over the top of the pillow (if you understand my thinking). It would make it 3D like. I also picture the hat crooked because that's the way I picture all my snowmen :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What pretty pictures - thanks so much for sharing. I just love those bears. And, I love your snowman pillow - very creative Sunny! Now, get some rest girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are beautiful, we don't get much snow here in Australia so its good to see others
    scenery.

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.