"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Weekend Wrap-up


Note to Self:  Do NOT go to the mall on the last weekend before school starts, and the final day of Tax Free Week.  I had a few coupons, and I figured summer clothing would all be on clearance, but I didn't think about the whole school/tax free thing.  It took forever in line to pay for my few items.  I hate shopping.  Unless it's at a Quilt Shop, that is.  Or maybe a book store.  Clothes shopping is a chore that must be undured.  It is not fun.  I wanted to reward myself with a sweet tea from McD's, and that took another eternity. 

The real reward was a couple of hours on the river after we left the mall.  It was another beautiful day, the temp was about 80, with blue skies and white puffy clouds.  After a few too-hot weekends in early July, we have had some very nice kayaking weather.  DH and I decided that we're really getting old.  We were so exhausted when we got home, we ordered a pizza for dinner, and I was really too tired to eat.  We used to take long day trips for kayaking, but we've stayed pretty close to home this year.  The longer day trips may be a thing of the past. 

Fortunately, we live near the Potomac River, and there are many different places to put in.  Most of the places we go are areas of fairly shallow and sometimes rocky conditions.  Great conditions for kayaks, but not for bigger boats, so it's quiet and peaceful.  Yesterday we went to a spot above a dam, with much deeper water, and we had to share the river with a lot of boaters, many towing skiiers or tubes.  No peace or quiet yesterday!  But still a perfect day for a paddle.


I received a lovely little squishie in the mail last week, from my friend Grethe.  It's just a tiny little thing, and oh-so-cute.  I think I'll take it to week and hang it on my cubicle wall.  Thanks so much Grethe!!


On Saturday, there was a card in my mailbox for a package from Portugal, that requres a signature for delivery.  What can it be?  I have an idea who it's might be from, but I have no idea what it might be.  Hopefully, dh will be home tomorrow when the mail carrier comes, and will be able to sign for it.

I guess it's time to head for bed.  After all tomorrow is Monday, and it's back to the rat race.

Have a wonderful week.....Sunny


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful heron! I've taken the kiddos fishing and crabbing quite a bit this summer and we've seen all sorts of natural miracles. Thanks again for the magazine and fabric! I've been doing a little sewing but not a lot of time before back to school for Bea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather sounds perfect and to be able to paddle is a bonus.
    That's a lovely embroidery you received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad Sunny you are getting to use the boats alot,lovely pics.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree about the shopping, quilt stores and book stores are fun. Rummaging around antique or thrift stores can be interesting but clothing shopping for me is just a chore to be endured!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, your little embroidery quilt is so cute. You need her at work to help get through the day! Have a good week...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never go to the mall the day before school starts. Ugh! What was I thinking. Beautiful birds - so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Avoid the malls at all costs this time of year! Beautiful pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you learnt your lesson about when to avoid the malls! So glad your kayaking was so fun, I would love to do that too.. I cant even have a little paddle on our river as my hubbie wont trim the overhanging trees for me (ok so it is a huge job but...!)Lovely little gift from Grethe - its so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I thought when I saw the clearance sale sign on the top of your post that you had gone to a fabric store. You fooled me! Glad you had a great time kayaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pictures of the blue heron! I, too, hate shopping. I try to do most of my clothes shopping online. Isn't terrible how the older our get the faster we get tired? I just don't think it's fair when there are so many things I'd like to do other than sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, so glad it has arrived and that you like the lady, who really struggled with the cross-stitches!
    Have a lovely weekend,Peggy:-)

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.