"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Peggy’s Cove and Halifax

Day 7:  Peggy’s Cove, Mahone Bay, and Lunenburg

Peggy’s Cove has been on my Bucket List for a long time, and I can now cross it off!

IMG_1159IMG_1179IMG_1190

 

 

 

 

Peggy’s Cove is a quaint little village at the mouth of St. Margaret’s Bay.  The Lighthouse is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world.  The coastline surrounding it is very rugged.

IMG_1198IMG_1202

 

 

 

 

Very near Peggy’s Cove is a memorial for the victim’s of the Swissair Flight 111 Crash in 1998.  It is a very sobering spot, on the granite rocks looking out to the ocean.

IMG_1155IMG_1156

 

 

 

 

After we left Peggy’s Cove, we drove to Mahone Bay, another quaint little fishing town.  The entire town was celebrating the Scarecrow Festival.

IMG_1223

These are not your typical scarecrows normally found watching over gardens.  Most homes and businesses had scarecrows representing anything from musical acts, storybook characters, television characters, themes representing the business, and even a tea party.

IMG_1212IMG_1213IMG_1223IMG_1224

Mahone Bay also has some beautiful churches.

IMG_1217IMG_1222IMG_1242

And did I mention that Mahone Bay just happened to have a Quilt Show the Day we were there?  I’ll save those pictures for another post after I get home. 

As you can probably tell, it was another gray day, so the pictures are all a little dull.  The next town we drove to was Lunenburg.  Oh my – it was so colorful!  And built on a hill, so you can really appreciate all the colors.

IMG_1230IMG_1233IMG_1234

 

 

 

 

It was late afternoon when we arrived here, so we didn’t have much time to do anything other than pop into a couple of the shops.  I can honestly say that we’ve done our best to stimulate the economy of Nova Scotia!!

Day 8:  Halifax

This is the longest vacation I’ve ever taken, and I have to confess that I’m getting tired and thinking of home.  Today was another rainy windy day for us, so we tried to find indoor activities in Halifax.  We spent some time in the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which was quite interesting.  They have a special exhibit about the Titanic, as Halifax is where many of the victims were brought as they were recovered from the sea. 

IMG_3406

We also got to tour the Acadia, a ship that was used for chart making   for 56 years in the northern waters.

IMG_3402IMG_3404IMG_3405

 

 

 

 

 

We learned that Halifax has the second largest natural harbor in the world.  It was carved out by glaciers, and because there is no sand anywhere, it does not have to be dredged like many harbors.  Do you know where the largest natural harbor is?

We then made our way down to the Farmer’s Market, where we had lunch, listened to live music, and watched the carving of a 664 pound pumpkin!
IMG_3419IMG_3420

 

 

 

 

 

And remember when I mentioned the friendly people here?  One gentleman was selling peaches, and he had one cut up to encourage people to sample it.  As it was quite tasty, I asked if we could purchase only one or two, not a container full.  He said “No, but I could give you one”, and then proceeded to look for two peaches that were ripe for eating right away.  Nice!

As the rain and wind continued to worsen, we decided to call it a day, and return to the hotel.  We got a chance to read, and dh took a little snooze.  He continues to be just fine, with no ill effects of his little episode a couple of weeks ago.

On the road again tomorrow…….Sunny

IMG_3421

9 comments:

  1. What an awesome vacation I hope I get to go some fun places in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you have a cove named after you!!! My gosh your pics are awesome - but I think I'll go in high summer. And I give up....I'll have to google the world's largest harbor...glad dh is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning scenery. I can see why the light house is popular. The scarecrows are wonderful.
    The Titanic exhibit would ave been very interesting.
    Good to hear hubby is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really have made the most of your time in Nova Scotia . Sorry about the rain , it was lovely here yesterday . Loved your photos !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delighted you have now visited Peggy's Cove...
    Sew much sight seeing , just gorgeous but I'm tired just reading it... Can see why DH needed to rest. Pleased he's staying well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had the most amazing looking trip! Peggy's Cove has just landed on my bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is lovely following your travels....love the lighthouse at Peggy's cove!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is lovely following your travels....love the lighthouse at Peggy's cove!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am truly enjoying the pictures of your trip - what lovely places you have visited. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.